How to Transform your Space Using 3M DI-NOC Vinyl
Who remembers the vehicles adorned with infill wood panels, typically seen on the sides of sedans, convertibles and… station wagons. I don’t want to date myself, but the first time I would have laid eyes on one of these gems was when Clark W. Griswold hauled the family to Wally World in the 1983 classic film ‘Vacation’. Not exactly the typical Woodie, but the Wagon Queen Family Truckster did have wood panels. Originally, Woodies were made with real wood framework, but later models, like the Griswold’s, used wood-grain sheet vinyl called DI-NOC. 3M pioneered DI-NOC in the 1950’s for this specific use. It was developed to create a realistic wood-like vinyl which would eliminate the weight of real wood on the car, while being more cost effective. Unfortunately, it didn’t catch on as anticipated.DI-NOC began to gain popularity in the 90’s when the Japanese started using it as an architectural product. With the ability to stick to almost any existing substrate, DI-NOC became the go to material when re-furbishing and re-covering existing spaces. Fast forward to today. DI-NOC has advanced substantially and is available all over the world for many types of commercial, institutional and residential applications both indoors and out.
What is 3M DI-NOC vinyl?
3M DI−NOC vinyl’s are durable, cleanable and flexible PVC films that use Comply Adhesive air release technology for fast, easy and virtually bubble-free application. The films have excellent adhesion and flexibility, allowing them to be used indoors or outdoors on flat or complex curved substrates, walls, furniture, fixtures, etc. Some of the films can also be applied to 3−dimensional surfaces and/or thermoformed. These films are ideal for both new construction and remodeling.
Why choose 3M DI-NOC ?
3m DI-NOC finishes have many advantages:
- Large Selection: Over 700 different patterns to select from giving you the ultimate creative control. 21 different product categories ranging from Wood Grain, Fine Woods, Concrete, Leather, Marble, Metallic and many more finishes.
- Quick and clean to install: Minimizes turnaround time and disruption to workplace getting you back up in running quickly.
- Budget friendly: Can use existing substrates so costs are minimized when you can re purpose existing fixtures, walls and furniture.
- Environmentally friendly: DI-NOC architectural finishes are not produced from trees or metal-bearing ores. A green building product, they go up fast, with less likelihood of error and waste. And when their lifecycle ends, select DI-NOC products are easier on the earth.
- Sustainable: Most DI-NOC architectural surfaces earn LEED credits for green building. Specify them instead of materials that come from forests or metal-bearing ores that require mining. And when its lifecycle ends, DI-NOC products are easier on the environment, too.
Insist on 3M DI-NOC
For renovations: Lightweight and self-adhering, DI-NOC architectural finishes can be applied to existing substrates, reducing labor and material cost compared to natural materials. With DI-NOC products, you create a whole new look, quickly and inexpensively without compromising on aesthetics, thanks to its uncanny resemblance to natural materials.
For new construction: Perhaps you prefer the authenticity of real wood, metal or stone. That’s only natural. Use them for select areas. Specify DI-NOC architectural finishes everywhere else. You’ll get cost savings, speed of application, durability and still maintain the aesthetic look you desire.